Monday, December 29, 2014

Jutzi back with Mavs

Minnesota State junior defenseman Jon Jutzi is back skating with the team after leaving the team and school for a semester due to undisclosed personal reasons.

“He’s registered for school, he’s back in town and he’s skating with us,” Hastings said on Monday. “I think he’s in pretty good shape. I think he’s taken care of his body, which I thought might be a major issue.”

Said Jutzi: "I tried to stay in shape and skate as often as I could so if and when I came back I wouldn't be too far behind."

The 6-foot-2, 200-pound Jutzi played in all 82 of MSU’s games in his first two seasons, compiling one goal and 14 assists. Last season, he ranked second on the team in blocked shots with 70 and was also plus-5, which ranked fifth on the team and third among defensemen.

“He was solid,” Hastings said. “His play last year, in a word, was reliable. He was consistent.”

Jutzi should provide some helpful depth to the Mavericks’ defensive corps, although, in his absence, the team has seen growth and development from players such as sophomore Casey Nelson and junior Blake Thompson, who were part-time players last season.

Hastings said Jutzi’s return doesn’t automatically move him in front of anyone on the depth chart, however.

“From a depth standpoint, (Jutzi) can potentially help us,” Hastings said. “But the guys we have, up to this point, have done a pretty good job. … We’ll wait and see how he practices.”

Jutzi said he wasn't going into any details about his departure. But, as he said in September, it was always his intent to return to MSU after Christmas.

"I just want to help the team any way I can," he said.

1 comment:

Hockey25 said...

That's great news to hear he will be back.