Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Mavs pick up Robertson Cup MVP

Minnesota State's most recent verbal commit is Reggie Lutz of the NAHL's Fairbanks Ice Dogs. It's been quite a week for Lutz, an Elk River native, as he recently led the Ice Dogs to the Robertson Cup championship. He was named MVP of the NAHL finals by scoring five of his team's seven goals in the three games (semifinals and finals).


According to a story in the Fairbanks News-Miner, Lutz visited MSU on Monday.

“When I went on my tour today, I just fell in love with the campus and the student life there,” Lutz said in the article. “I felt it was great fit for me with what I want to study, and the hockey there is great. For me, I think it was kind of an easy decision. Plus, it’s in Minnesota. It’s got everything that I want.”

Lutz, who is expected to join the Mavericks in 2017 after another season with the Ice Dogs, is a 5-foot-10, 175-pound forward who had 30 goals and 21 assists in 57 regular-season games and another nine goals and three assists in 12 playoff games.

As a high school senior, Lutz had 60 points in 25 games, including 35 goals.

“After going to Mankato it was an easy decision,” Lutz told the News-Miner. “The other schools, I was definitely interested in but I didn’t think they could match what Mankato could give me, such as schooling and playing wise and the great facilities that they have in Mankato.”

No comments: