Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Stockpiling recruits (updated)

According to various reports, the Mavericks have received verbal commitments from two highly rated high school players this week: Centennial junior forward Tyler Pitlick and Cloquet senior forward Justin Jokinen. Jokinen is ranked 60th on the most recent NHL Central Scouting Service rankings of North American skaters. Pitlick, meanwhile, scored 25 goals and 59 points this season. More to come.

The Duluth News-Tribune talked to Jokinen Wednesday.

"Mankato has a style that's fast and creative and I thought it was a great fit for me," Jokinen said. "I was expecting to play a year of junior hockey, but Mankato has a couple of forward spots open and wants me to come straight from high school, and I think I can handle that."

7 comments:

joe roger said...

i've done some research on this jokinen kid and i have a hard time understanding the pickup here for another right wing for next year? 1st of all mankato has 3 very good right wings coming back in berge, stewart and wiley and also louwerse redshirted, tyler thompson and joe schiller that are all listed as right wingers? 2nd of all he had 22 goals and 21 assists in high school hockey against mostly weak competition? other than the kid being ranked by central scouting and being 6'2 how does this kid not need a year or 2 of juniors with possibly 6 right wings? i see it hard for him to make the lineup unless jutting screws someone cause he might get drafted.

Shane Frederick said...

I don't know much about the kid myself, but Jutting's never really pigeonholed a kid into just one forward position. Sure, there have been guys who are only centers. But he's shuffled them around, too. I wouldn't be so quick to make a guy a RW or LW. Perhaps the coaches have other ideas.

joe roger said...

good point

Sam said...

As hard as Jerad Stewart plays, he doesn't really seem to produce much in terms of points. Thus, I don't think it'd be a shock to see him lose some playing time next year in favor of a younger, potentially more skilled player. Once again, though, I don't know much about Mr. Jokinen. I'm certainly excited for his arrival, though.

Sam said...

Also, add Eli Zuck to the list of new Maverick recruits. Other than the fact that he's currently play for Shattuck-St. Mary's, can you provide us with any info. on this kid Shane? Thanks.

joe roger said...

stewart did struggle early but picked it up down the stretch and was arguable mankato's best forward against minnesota in their last game. stewart came right from highschool with i believe little or no junior experience. it just took him some time to find his game which i believe he did late in the season...sam you are wrong with this one as stewart will have a break thru year for the mavs!

Sam said...

Joe, I hope I am wrong. It will only be a boost to the Mavs. I was just commenting on how I viewed Stewart throughout the year. We shall just have to wait and see. Go Mavs.