Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Vizenor out as MSU women's coach (updated)

Jeff Vizenor is out as coach of the Minnesota State women's hockey team. Per his request, he will be reassigned in the athletic department for the rest of his contract, which expires in June. He will take an administrative role in the deparment, which will include fundraising. Vizenor was in his eighth season with the Mavericks and had a record of 80-148-24. He was the WCHA's coach of the year in 2003-04 after leading MSU to its only winning record.

Assistant coach Paul Willett will lead the team this weekend at Bemidji State. The Mavericks' other assistant, Mandy Krause-Rideout is on a recruiting trip in Germany. Athletic director Kevin Buisman said either Willett or Krause-Rideout will be named full-time interim coach next week and a search for a permanent replacement will begin in the spring.

The Mavericks are 6-10-2 and in seventh place in the WCHA, but they were winless in their last eight games going into the winter break.

"It's such a weird feeling; I've never had it before," Vizenor said. "Honestly, I reached a p oint where I couldn't recharge and get back to where I needed to be and where the team needed me to be. ...

"I thought I had recharged my batteries this summer. I thought my batteries were pretty full, but they weren't full enough. Coming back (after break), it wasn't what was beset for the players or for anybody."

Minnesota State's press release on Vizenor's resignation can be found here.

No comments: