Thursday, October 15, 2009

I can't believe my eyes (sometimes)

Sportswriters sometimes get spoiled when they cover events. No, I'm not talking about press box food. I'm talking about access to video replay. Sometimes it's hard not to rely on a second or third viewing, especially in hockey when plays happen quickly and goals sometimes come out of nowhere. While some arenas have monitors throughout their press boxes or a big video scoreboard that all can see, good replay just isn't available at Mankato's Verizon Wireless Center.

This is not a complaint, rather, it's an observation of something that happened last Friday night. Minnesota State forward Mike Louwerse scored on what I thought was a nice play but a soft goal for the goalie to give up. My game story only made mention that Louwerse had a goal. What I remember happening was Louwerse taking the puck across the top of the zone at the end of a power play, getting tripped up and shooting the puck before falling to the ice.

Why my brain told me that, I have no idea. MSU has put up video highlights of last weekend's games and I saw that Louwerse's goal was pretty darn good (although still a softie by the goalie). I was right about the first parts of the play but didn't realize that Louwerse was already flat on his belly when he shot the puck. Impressive.

No comments: