Monday, March 15, 2010

For MSU, it's the offseason




Good morning from Mankato. Quite a weekend in St. Cloud. Three one-goal games. Two overtime games. Huge weekend for the MSU seniors (five goals, 10 assists). A great series by goalie Phil Cook. But, alas, the Mavericks will be home again for the Final Five.

So close ... that was the theme of the 09-10 season. The Mavericks played in 22 games decided by one goal or less this season and went 7-12-3 in those games, including five overtime losses. But there was one overtime win -- on Friday at St. Cloud. Check out the video of Geoff Irwin's game-tying goal with .3 seconds left above that put MSU in position to win.

The Final Five is set. North Dakota and Minnesota Duluth will play in Thursday's play-in game, with the winner playing top-seeded Denver on Friday night. St. Cloud State and Wisconsin will play on Friday afternoon. All of those teams, with the exception of UMD, appear to be locks for the NCAA tournament. The Bulldogs could be on the bubble, especially with Alabama-Huntsville winning the College Hockey America tournament.

4 comments:

Ryan said...

As a Husky fan I just wanted to say how impressed I was by the MSU Mavs. What a great series. Your team gave SCSU everything they could handle. Your top line created non-stop anxiety attacks for the SCSU faithful.

It's nice to see a team that plays with such heart and grit. It was also nice to have visiting fans in our building with class and decency. I only wish great things to your program in the future.

Irwin, Stewart, & Pitlick really stand out. You also have a rock in goal for years to come with your cookie monster.

Unknown said...

Ryan,

I won't lie, I'll be pulling for your Huskies and the Beavers in the NCAAs. I really hope Lasch sets the record too.

Here's to a good couple of series the last two weekends and to continued success to St. Cloud in the weeks to come. Go get one for "small town" Minnesota!

And of course, thanks to Shane for the blog action. I'm glad I stumbled onto it - it's addicting.

Next year I tell ya... next year.

RedHeadZeb said...

Thanks for all your hard work, Shane. Glad to have you covering our team and the great series this last weekend.

If you are in St. Paul for the Final Five, I'll be very happy to say "thank you" with a beverage of your choice at one of the fine downtown establishments.

Ryan said...

Ian,

I really wish we didn't play you guys in the 1st round. I would have loved to see both our teams at the Xcel. The way the Mavs played at the end of the season, they could have skated with anyone in the country.

I look back at cheering for your Mavs against the gophers and I know it's only a matter a time before your team breaks through. You guys have a great coach and a lot of players I'd love to have on our roster. Irwin is one hell of a clutch player. I hope to see him make it big.

Best of luck moving forward. I hope you guys can pick the gophers and UNDies number they way you have had ours the last few years.