Friday, March 19, 2010

Idaho bound (updated)

UPDATED: Minnesota State seniors Geoff Irwin and Kael Mouillierat turned pro but remained teammates, signing with the Idaho Steelheads of the ECHL. Read the Steelheads' press release here.

They're expected to be in the lineup tonight against the Ontario Reign in Ontario, Calif., where they could be facing ex-teammate Mike Zacharias (although Zacharias is not the No. 1 goalie there). Another former Maverick, defenseman Brian Kilburg, was also on that team but was released earlier this week. Apparently he was picked up by the Utah Grizzlies.

4 comments:

crossjcek said...

I would like to see seniors stay and get their degrees (rather than jump to the ECHL) this late in the year but I guess with hockey season schedules the way they are players have to jump on the opportunities as they present themselves and chase their dream of playing for a living. One with the desire can always return to finish a semester of college. Good luck to both of them.

Nation said...

I guess I just don't know why these guys would not finish school. They are so close. Can't hockey wait another month and a half?

hockeyfan said...

I totally get someone leaving if they sign a two way contract with the NHL. I don't get why guys two months from graduation would leave to make 500 a week. I can't believe this opportunity wouldn't be there next fall. With that said I wish them both good luck. Hope when they are done playing someday they get their degrees.

Chris said...

Since Shane is out partying after a long day of not working, I'll point out that Mouillierat scored his first professional goal against Mike Zacharias tonight. Irwin apparently did not play.