Monday, February 4, 2008

North Dakota coach suspended

Breaking news from the AP wire:

University of North Dakota men's hockey coach Dave Hakstol has been suspended for two games for his actions during a heated Saturday night game with Minnesota.

During the second period of game, which ended in a 1-1 tie, a television camera showed Hakstol sticking up his middle finger at referee Don Adam after the two discussed a penalty call.

Acting UND athletic directors Betty Ralston and Steve Brekke announced the suspension on Monday, saying "We expect our coaches to keep themselves and their teams in control at all times. Profane language and poor behavior on the part of our coaches and student-athletes is unacceptable." The Western Collegiate Hockey Association issued a release saying it endorsed the school's decision.

The Sioux have this week off before playing host to Denver on Feb. 15-16. Hakstol will not coach that series.

Hakstol issued an apology on Sunday, saying, "I would like to sincerely apologize to our fans, players and entire program, as well as all college hockey fans, the WCHA and Don Adam for my actions during the second period of last night's game versus the University of Minnesota. I'm disappointed in myself for allowing my emotions and frustrations to get the better of me. I pride myself in not allowing this type of thing to occur. Most importantly, I am a parent before I am a coach, and I understand the responsibility that we carry as coaches within the WCHA to young hockey fans and families everywhere. I have evaluated and feel terrible about my actions and can assure everyone that such a thing will never happen again."

North Dakota and Minnesota combined for 160 penalty minutes in Saturday night's game, and Sioux forward Darcy Zajac and Gopher forward Tony Lucia were given game disqualifications for fighting at the end of overtime.

No comments: